After 9 months in Australia our time was up. We saw four out of six states while travelling roughly 7500 kilometers from town to town. We spent some hours on an airplane, but much more in buses. What it gave us was to see some amazing places and meet so many wonderful people.
We experienced so much and feel grateful to have had the opportunity to work and travel in Australia. Even after all that travelling we still feel we have only seen a fraction of everything there is, and we truly understand all those expats who stay and build a life in Australia.
Truth is that we can’t deny we did not consider it too. It still is easy to picture us working and living our lives in that beautiful country.
Wish it did not cost 1000 euros and a day of our lives on an airplane to visit our European homes. That is the main reason why staying was not truly an option. But at least for a while Australia was our home.
Some random things we will miss:
- The helpful, generous, happy and lovely people
- The friends we made
- Silky smooth beaches
- Funny Aussie slang
- Sydney Opera House
- Great Barrier Reef
- Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- How Australians put everything in a toaster / sandwich grill (Matte likes his food hot)
- The weather
- The nature
- Amazing travelling opportunities in just one (huge) country
- Kookaburra birds
- And all the other exciting wildlife right in front of doorstep
- Clean, free and plentiful public bathrooms
- Chilled Aussie-lifestyle
What we will not miss that much:
- Being a pedestrian
- Big spiders, bugs et cetera
- Unreliable and expensive internet connection
- Even more strict alcohol laws than in Finland
- Australian bureaucracy
- Being too far away from our family and friends
Except for the latter nothing we could not handle.
Thank you for having us Australia, we love you.
Anniina & Matthias